The zeppole di San Giuseppe is a typical dessert of Father’s Day, celebrated on March 19, the day of the feast of San Giuseppe. They are soft donuts baked in the oven or fried. They are filled with custard, garnished with sour cherries in syrup and powdered sugar.
INGREDIENTS: makes 12 zeppole
– 250ml water
– 160gr flour type 00
– 4 eggs
– 125g butter
– 1 pinch sea salt
– 500ml milk
– 1 tbsp flour type 00
– 5 tbsp white sugar
– 1 shot glass of limoncello
– Powdered sugar
– Black cherries
– Boil the water with butter.
– Once butter has melted, pour in flour at once & mix.
– Allow the mixture to cool.
– Add the eggs one at a time. Mix vigorously.
– Use pastry bag to create the donuts & bake at 200° for 20 minutes.
– Add milk & flour in a saucepan.
– Whisk with hand whisk thoroughly & constantly making sure that no lumps form.
– Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, add the egg yolks & sugar till it forms the custard.
– Add a few black cherries in syrup to each Zeppola di San Giuseppe & sprinkle with powdered sugar.
– They can be kept in the fridge for a maximum of two days.
Recipe of the day by Mamma Maria