From the stunning architectures to the delicious cuisine of Italy; immerse yourself in rich history and culture as you visit iconic landmarks and famous cities.
Puglia is a destination that has been on the radar for all lovers of Italy and this holiday combines a discovery of its superb cuisine and wines among gently rolling landscapes. Explore the ancient Matera, visit the conical trulli houses of the Itria Valley, and see how local cheeses, bread, olive oil and wines are produced.
- Local specialties – visits to baker and butcher, producers of cheese, olive oil, and wine.
- Tastings – sample delicious local cheeses, wines, and regional dishes.
- Cooking – try your hand at making the local orecchiette – ‘little ear’ pasta.
The Secrets and Treasures of Puglia
The ‘heel’ of the ‘boot’ of Italy is a beautiful landscape known for its whitewashed hill towns, centuries-old farmlands, cave dwellings, and hundreds of miles of Mediterranean coastline. The capital city of Bari is a vibrant, traditional port, as well as a university town and welcomes us as we make our way to Polignano a Mare, known for beautiful coastline, beaches, boat culture and cuisine to boot! Lecce, the “Florence of the south,” boasts baroque architecture and museums for a visual delight. Alberobello and Itria Valley are where you will find the stone huts called, “trulli.”
Moments in Puglia
Whether you’re in a leading restaurant or eating with a local family, the food in Puglia is spectacular. It’s a simple cuisine, with less of the saltiness and saucy richness that characterize much of Italian cuisine. It’s vegetable-heavy and recipes are straight-forward. Every element is homemade.
The Pugliesi are nothing if not passionate, all the wonderful gastronomic experiences of the trip are punctuated by walks through the rolling countryside of Puglia, to rural vistas and pretty towns.
- Swim in turquoise water on small coves and sun-warmed beaches
- Tour the 9,000-year-old Sassi di Matera cave homes
- See fairytale-like Trulli homes in Alberobello
- Try Puglia specials, such as panzerotto and focaccia barese on a food tour
START SLOWLY AND SOAK UP ITALY
Embark on our extraordinary adventure through the captivating landscapes of Puglia, where each destination unveils its own unique charm. Wander through the charming coastal town of Polignano a Mare, where the light dances on sandy shores, creating a picturesque Mediterranean haven. Explore the ancient wonders of Matera, with its 14th-century castle dominating the skyline, and delve into the Baroque splendor of Monopoli, immersing yourself in the cultural tapestry of southern Italy’s hidden gems.
What amount of leisure time is there on the tour?
We feature a slow travel concept on most of our trips with most sightseeing occurring in the mornings and the afternoons at leisure.
How many guests are on tour?
Our tours feature an average 10 to 16 guests — unlike most tour companies which feature an average of 35 to 44 guests. Our goal is to make this intimate to soak up this magical experience!
What is the average tour guest like? What kind of people travel on a Discovering South Italy tour?
Our trips are designed to engage people of all ages and backgrounds, but the ‘average’ guest is not average at all: they enjoy interesting excursions, learning about history and culture, and above all enjoy having fun while on tour. Experiencing foreign lands bring with it a host of amazing experiences!
Quick View of our Puglia tour features:
- POLIGNANO A MARE: Amazing perspectives of Sea
- ALBEROBELLO: The crown of the Apulia region, exotic Trulli huts
- MATERA: The beauty of the Basilicata, Sassi Cave dwellings
- Handpicked Deluxe Airbnb in the heart of the Monopoli
- Tour guides from beginning to end. Expert Italian guides,English/Italian-speaking Tour Captains relate to you with their knowledge.
- No Up-Selling on tour (compare with other tour companies), No Big Buses or Groups
- Unique in the industry dining: Exclusive to Discovering South Italy: one of the only tours that is an all-inclusive dining experience. All meals are included.
- No Hidden Costs: Fees & taxes are all included in our price. Gratuities for the tour captains are welcomed but not mandatory. *Flight fees are not part of the tour price*
- Our pace for sightseeing is leisurely with ample opportunity to stop and even opt out should a guest desire to do so. We walk about 45 to 90 minutes per day on our sightseeing tours on average.
If you’re reading this Puglia itinerary, it can mean only one thing: you’ve decided to venture from Italy’s main tourist trail. And you’ve made a great choice!
Now is your moment to visit authentic (and affordable) Puglia – the paradise “heel” of Italy’s boot – before it becomes the next Tuscany.
Please inquire at: Discoveringsouthitaly@gmail.com or at our Instagram handle: @discoveringsouthitaly
in collaboration with @robipetrus https://www.instagram.com/robipetrus/